30 Modern Christmas Decor Ideas For Your Home
With Christmas only a few weeks away we thought we’d compile a list of some of the most festive Christmas decor ideas out there. From trees to stockings to garlands and more, here’s a list of 30 modern Christmas decor ideas perfect for decorating your home just in time for the holidays.
You know it’s Christmas time when the tree decorations start sprouting up. Whether it’s a simple minimal DIY version or a classy store bought one, Christmas tree decor adds a festive touch to your home without feeling overwhelming or over the top.
1. These winter trees are the perfect combination of minimal and festive.
Winterland trees from Ferm Living
2. Create your own modern mini wooden trees with this easy DIY.
Mini Wooden Christmas Trees by Sugar & Cloth – instructions here.
3. Add a bit of fun to your mantle with these simple colorful Christmas trees.
A Colourful Forest by Inspired By Charm – instructions here.
4. Fake tealights placed under these perforated Christmas trees create a warm glow and add a coziness to your home.
Perforated Tabletop Christmas Trees by Curbly – instructions here.
5. These felt and wood trees bring a bit of nature into your decor and help make your space feel warmer and more inviting.
6. Glass trees organized on a table or mantle create a modern forest right inside your home.
Paz Trees from CB2
7. Brass trees in all sorts of different styles capture the uniqueness of nature and make for modern festive decor.
Modern Brass Forest by Roost – available through Burke Decor
8. Go for a more abstract look with these geometric cut out trees.
Geometric Christmas Tree from Clouds and Currents , available through Not On The High Street.
9. Use up some of those outdated magazines with this easy Christmas tree DIY, and you can customize them with spray paint to match the look you’re going for.
Magazine Trees from Tara Dennis – instructions here.
Hanging stockings is one of the easiest ways to make a home feel ready for the holidays. Whether they’re hung from the mantle or on the walls, stockings waiting to be filled with treats are an easy way to decorate and bring back memories of Christmas mornings and the anticipation of the big day.
10. Minimal stockings with simple patterns in neutral colors keep the mantle feeling modern and festive.
Winterland Stocking from Ferm Living
11. A simple cotton stocking personalized with polka dots and a name is a fun way to create a family mantle with no fear of confusion on Christmas morning.
Personalized Christmas Stocking from Cotton Fox Prints
12. These woodland stockings are an adorable addition to the mantle and are just the right size for tucking in a few Christmas treats.
Winter Woodland Stockings from Land of Nod
While it isn’t all that common to see things hanging from windows or light fixtures through the year, around the holidays all sorts of things get hung. From mistletoe to garland and ornaments, hanging objects become the norm in most homes around the holidays. Here are a few examples of hanging decor perfect for the holiday season.
13. This DIY kit makes hanging mistletoe more stylish than ever.
14. Hang a few of these silver and gold stars in your windows to create a festive, modern window display.
Star decor from Urban Outfitters
Holiday garlands are a beautiful and simple way to help make your house feel more festive. They can be hand made or store bought, hung from trees or hung on the wall. Depending on the material they’re made from they can also be used as table runner alternatives or as mantle fillers that bring texture and color into your space. Here are 8 examples of modern holiday garlands.
15. This felted pom pom garland uses fun colors rather than traditional Christmas ones to change things up while still feeling festive.
Felt garland from My Sparkle – instructions here.
16. Black paper tree cut outs hanging from the ceiling frame the fireplace and make the room feel more cozy.
Paper Tree Garlands by Nalle’s House – instructions here.
17. This DIY garland brings in a touch of nature and a cheerful Christmas message.
Merry Garland from Homey Oh My
18. Wooden beads and himmelis on this DIY garland give it a Scandinavian look and help create a natural and modern piece of Christmas decor.
19. This gold leaf garland adds a bit of sparkle t this dark mantle and pulls together the other elements of gold in the room.
Kraft + Glitter Garland from West Elm.
20. This simple DIY garland would be a fun and easy afternoon project to do with kids or friends.
Star Garland from The Crafted Blog – instructions here.
21. Add some minimal holiday decor to your walls with these paper Christmas trees hanging from festive string.
DIY Modern Paper Tree Garland by Melissa Fenlon and Sara Albers of Alice & Lois for Julep.
Christmas villages are a classic holiday staple in many homes. But just because they’re classic doesn’t mean they have to look traditional. Here are 4 examples of modern Christmas villages perfect for tables or mantles.
22. Matte white ceramic homes create a simple setting that can be surrounded by other monochrome shades or can be spiced up with festive colors.
Matte White Ceramic Christmas village from Crate&Barrel
23. This intricate wooden village adds a Scandinavian element to your scene and helps keep your decor feeling natural.
3-piece laser cut wood village from Crate&Barrel
24. This colorful yet simple Christmas village would be perfect in kids rooms or playrooms that need a bit of festive decor.
Holiday Village from Land of Nod
25. This printable paper village in fun colors with modern houses makes for a fun winter scene that be used over and over throughout the years.
Holiday Houses in the Woods from Smallful
26. These laser cut wood animals are the perfect additions to your winter scenes.
Laser cut wood animals from Crate&Barrel
27. Zinc reindeer add a modern look to your mantle and a festive feel to your home.
Zinc Reindeer from Crate&Barrel
Decorating the mantle above and around your fireplace creates the ultimate feelings of coziness and festiveness and makes Santa feel extra welcome as he comes down the chimney.
28. Eucalyptus along the mantle and a wooden beaded garland hanging above the fireplace make this Scandinavian-inspired mantle feel clean and modern.
Inspiration from The Chronicles of Home
29. The black, white, and gold color scheme of this modern mantle bring together a bunch of festive decorations and turn the empty fireplace into a cozy place to gather around.
Black, white and gold living room inspiration from Monica Wants It
30. A simple garland of natural greenery and twinkle lights and the wooden decorations above the mantle keep this bright living room feeling welcoming yet cozy.
Inspiration from Nalles House
Get the contemporist daily email newsletter – sign up here