Stairs have the surprising ability to determine how a home feels. They’re seen and used often so having a staircase that stands out is a great way to make your house feel unique. Here are 18 examples of sleek, stylish stairs in modern homes.
1. These wood and black steel stairs almost create an optical illusion if you get too close!
Aarhus Residence by Dinesen. Photography by Gert Skærlund Andersen.
2. These wooden stairs are interrupted by a center section with light gray carpet.
Architecture by Paul Jones. Built by Zorzi South. Interior Design by Ozbyrd Design.
3. These wood and perforated steel stairs extend out to create a space for a home office.
Designed by Bates Masi Architects.
4. These floating concrete stairs are topped with wood.
Designed ESTUDIO 30 51. Photography by Carlos Edler.
5. These wood steps are attached to steel beams that carry the stairs all the way up.
Designed by Brininstool + Lynch Architects. Photography by Christopher Barrett and Hedrich Blessing.
6. These stairs are a combination of wood and steel, and are perfect for an industrial look, especially when paired with concrete.
Designed by Pitsou Kedem Architects. Photography by Amit Geron.
7. These wooden stairs with hidden lighting, light up from underneath to ensure you’ll never miss a step again.
Designed by Zaetta Studio Architecture & Design. Photography by Alberto Ferrero.
8. You can either take big steps or little steps on these steel and walnut stairs.
Designed by Natalie Dionne Architecture. Photography by Marc Cramer.
9. If you’re not careful, these wooden stairs could be a bit confusing.
Designed by JSa Architecture. Photography by Rafael Gamo.
10. These stairs are made entirely out of formed concrete.
Designed by Luciano Kruk. Photography by Daniela Mac Adden.
11. Each tread on these stairs is made up of three layers of green glass.
Designed by AR Design Studio. Photography by Martin Gardner.
12. These wood stairs are made entirely of chestnut, and one stair tread seamlessly becomes a sideboard.
Designed by Nimmrichter CDA Architects. Photos by Bruno Helbling.
13. These wood and steel stairs have an artistic steel guard rail.
Designed by FINNE Architects. Photography by Benjamin Benscheider.
14. Thin treads and a unique black steel railing add an interesting element to this tropical home.
Designed by Jesse Bennett and Anne-Marie Campagnolo. Photography by Sean Fennessy.
15. This spiral wood staircase has open cubbies in each of the steps to provide extra storage.
Designed by Jo-a.
16. These minimalist white floating stairs include a wooden step, which extends to become a desk.
Designed by Studioata. Photography by Beppe Giardino.
17. These wedge-shaped stairs are made of white corian.
Designed by 3ndy Studio.
18. These light wood floating stairs break up the white walls and concrete floor.