13 Modern Houses That Have Weathering Steel Exteriors
Covering the exterior of your home in weathering steel is one way to protect it from the elements and give it a unique look that changes over time. As weather interacts with the metal, unique patinas form, giving the home a completely original exterior. Today we’re sharing 13 houses that are clad in weathering steel to create texture, add originality, and protect the house from the elements.
1. Weathering steel covering the exterior of this home gives it a modern look that contrasts the traditional octagonal barn beside it and helps it withstand the elements over the years.
MacKay-Lyons Sweetapple Architects designed this modern house. Photography by James Brittain.
2. Up in the trees, this home covered in weathering steel has a modern, rustic look to it that contrasts the natural landscape around it.
ParkCity Design + Build designed this modern house in Utah. Photography by City Home Collective (first photo) and George Oakley (second photo).
3. Situated low on the horizon and surrounded by a rural landscape, this modern house is clad in weathering steel that protects it from the elements and gives it a textured look that fits right in with the surroundings.
Johnston Architects designed this modern house in Washington. Photography by Ray Johnston and Mary Kiesau.
4. Three separate buildings, all covered in weathering steel, provide views of the rock formations in the desert and have a contemporary look to them thanks to the contrast created by the weathering steel and the white extended sections.
Imbue Design designed this modern house in Utah.
5. This home, built behind a 19th century stable wall, has a modern look to it created by the use of large glass panels and perforated weathering steel covering the exterior.
Piercy&Co designed this modern house in London, England. Photography by Jack Hobhouse.
6. Large forms covered in weathering steel make up this modern villa and give it a low maintenance exterior that will change appearance over time.
DAPstockholm designed this modern villa in Stockholm, Sweden. Photography by Åke E:son Lindman.
7. Weathering steel panels on this Canadian house give it a unique finish and adds texture to the exterior of the house.
TACT designed this modern house in Toronto, Canada. Photography by David Giral.
8. Weathering steel shingles on the exterior of this modern house it give it a textured look that resembles scales on a reptile.
Sparano + Mooney Architecture designed this home in Utah. Photograph by Dustin Aksland.
9. Strips of weathering steel placed on the exterior of this modern house provide privacy and add texture to a simple form.
DMOA Architecten designed this house in Kontich, Belgium. Photography by Luc Roymans.
10. The weathering steel on the exterior of this modern house matches the tone of the wood used on the garage and front doors and gives the facade a textured and unique look.
Studio MK27 designed this house in Sao Paulo, Brazil. Photography by Nelson Kon.
11. The weathering steel on the exterior of these two house structures that make up a single home that will continue to age and weather over time, gradually blending in more with the landscape.
Alchemy Architects designed this house in Santa Rosa, California. Photography by Geoffrey Warner.
12. The use of weathering steel on parts of the exterior of this modern home gives the design a unique appearance that will continue to change over time as weather alters the materials and reacts with the metal.
SUGAWARADAISUKE designed this house in Tokyo, Japan. Photography by Jérémie Souteyrat.
13. This single level weathering steel clad extension adds a modern structure to a traditional farmhouse and provides a contemporary place for the family to spend time in.
superkül designed the modern extension of this farm house in Toronto, Canada. Photography by Shai Gil.
Get the contemporist daily email newsletter – sign up here