Spiral staircases are a popular choice because they can take on so many different looks. They can be tall and narrow and perfect in small spaces, but they can also be wide, grand, and sculptural to add a unique artistic detail to the home.
Here are 16 examples of spiral staircases in homes that add a creative design element to the house.
1. This large wood spiral staircase not only connects various levels of the home but also divides the space and acts as a sculptural installation.
Belzberg Architects designed this modern house in Los Angeles. Photography by Bruce Damonte.
2. This white and wood spiral staircase is fully exposed in the interior and provides access to the second floor of the house.
Fernanada Marques designed this Brazilian house. Photography by Fernando Guerra.
3. Wood has been combined with white metal to create this modern spiral staircase that matches the colors used throughout the rest of the home.
Park + Associates designed this modern home in Singapore. Photography by Edward Hendricks.
4. This small wood spiral staircase exposes the helix form of the stairs and makes it easy to get from one floor to the next without taking up too much space.
Jo-a designed this staircase for an apartment renovation in Brussels.
5. The smooth appearance of this modern white and wood spiral staircase makes it look like it could have simply twisted down from the ceiling.
ONG&ONG designed this modern house in Singapore. Photography by Derek Swalwell.
6. This light wood spiral staircase twirls up around a central shaft, while the white handrail helps the stairs blend in with the surrounding interior.
Amos and Amos designed this penthouse apartment in London, England.
7. This small modern spiral staircase is a made from polished metal with wood stair treads wrapping around it. The staircase travels through a hole in the ceiling to the upper floor.
Pierre Antoine Compain designed this house renovation in La Rochelle, France. Photography by Arthur Pequin.
8. The stairs of this grand spiral staircase are covered in a black carpet that contrasts the white throughout the space and makes them that much more dramatic.
Robert Mills Architects designed this Australian house.
9. The steps of this wood and metal spiral staircase start out large and act like a small landing but get slightly smaller as you climb them.
Paul Coudamy designed this wooden staircase for a home in Paris, France. Photography by Benjamin Boccas.
10. This large sculptural spiral staircase that rises up from the basement to the main floor of the home has wood treads and glass safety railings that let light pass through them to keep the spaces feeling bright.
Wallflower Architecture + Design designed this family home in Singapore. Photography by Marc Tey.
11. A simple matte black metal spiral staircase with grated steps connects the two main floors of this modern house and lets light easily pass through to keep the space feeling bright and airy.
Emilie Bedard Architecte and Maria Rosa Di Ioia designed this modern home in Montreal, Quebec. Photography by Adrien Williams.
12. A grand spiral staircase created by floating wood treads between the two white sides rises up into the next floor and welcomes people as they enter the home.
ONG&ONG Pte Ltd designed this house in Singapore. Photography by Derek Swalwell.
13. This white spiral staircase features a white railing and wood steps to keep the design clean and simple.
HILBERINKBOSCH Architects designed this modern house in Utrecht, The Netherlands. Photography by René de Wit.
14. This sculptural and modern black metal spiral staircase looks more like a birdcage with the black metal rods curving around the spiraling steps.
HYLA designed this modern family home in Singapore.
15. This artistic wood spiral staircase doubles as a sculptural installation that can be enjoyed and appreciated from many parts of the modern house.
YYDG designed this sculptural wood spiral staircase.
16. This white and grey outdoor spiral staircase climbs all the way from the bottom level of the home up to the rooftop deck.